Monday, April 15, 2019

The Magnificent Magnolia Cemetery!


Hello bloggers!

This blog post will contain information on possibly the most amazing cemetery in Charleston, South Carolina.

This cemetery is called Magnolia Cemetery and contains graves that date all the way back to the 1700s. Along with the history that it captures, there is also plenty of beauty to be found within.

A Peony Flower found in Magnolia Cemetery
Before I had even seen a grave, I was distracted by the many beautiful plants that are grown within this cemetery. I find this to be very admirable because the dead are about to rest in peace and beauty.

As my class continued to travel around, I was amazed by the amount of effort that is put into keeping this cemetery looking "to die for". There is endless amounts of angel oak trees to keep the cemetery looking green and fresh while also providing nice shade over the graves.

There is also a small bridge that can be walked along to pass over the pond. Even those who do not have a loved one to visit in this cemetery will enjoy being there just because of how beautiful it is.

Along with enjoying the beauty, some may enjoy the history that can be found within this vast cemetery.

Rosalie Raymond's Grave
For example, the grave of Rosalie Raymond White. Rosalie was an infant that passed away and the grave is her face on a baby carriage. I personally was drawn to this grave because not only is it a piece of history, but it is also fascinating that they took the time to have Rosalie's face made into stone for her grave.

The Magnolia Cemetery has many graves beyond Rosalie's that are a piece of history. My eye was caught when I saw some very historical looking graves. These graves are so old that the writing that was once on them, has now degraded away. Despite not being able to read who they are for or when they were made, I was still very interested in them.

I enjoy that graves can be around for centuries and still continue to be something that can be admired. Old graves have a nostalgic feeling to me despite the fact that I was not born in the century that they were made.

Family Grave Site
This group of old graves were fenced in so it can be assumed that it is a family lot. Behind the two graves in the front, smaller ones can be found. I am making the connection that those are the children of the whomever is buried in the front.

This was common in the past because medicine was not as advanced. Cemeteries such as Magnolia hold many family lots because one sickness could be fatal to all. It is unfortunate but also a very helpful way of recognizing when certain diseases struck disaster throughout history.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Magnolia Cemetery and I would recommend it as a place to see when in Charleston because it is not only beautiful, but also full of knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment